Whether you are Michael Jordan, or the parent of a recent terrorist victim, or Celine Dion, or the sibling of a refugee lost at sea, or Keanu Reeves, or the spouse of a suicide victim, or World Boxing Champion Oscar de La Hoya, or the friend of someone who overdosed, or Vin Diesel, or the child of someone who lost their battle with cancer, or Prince Harry, or the grandchild of someone lost to dementia/ALZ, or Liam Neeson, or the aunt of a teen killed in a car accident, or Whoopi Goldberg, or the parents of a stillborn baby, or CNN News Anchor Anderson Cooper, or someone grieving the loss of their lifelong companion pet - we are all in grief together.
Grief can kill us, but most of us and our families don't know it.
According to a recent online survey of people who had experienced a loss:
Over 80% of us felt completely unprepared to deal with the grief/grieving process and the majority believed we should be providing greater education on the subject in our schools and universities.
The focus of this course is on "practical" knowledge that you can use if you are grieving, or if you know others that are grieving alone at home, in your community, in your school or at work. This is a course on grief, the grieving process, and how grief can impact our lives, our health, our families, our jobs, and our communities.
When one is grieving, any task can be a challenge; including an online course on the subject. However, in this self-paced course, you can take the sections of the course you are interested in learning about anytime/anywhere and come back to the others at a later date. Like in our grieving processes, there is no right or wrong way to approach this course.
In the era of Twitter, Google Search, You Tube, Facebook, Linkedin, Mobile Apps, SnapChat, Instagrams, Apple's Siri - Intelligent Personal Assistant, Online Forums and thousands of other new online tools/platforms - Our grieving processes are undergoing major changes. This course will examine their real-life impact on healing or deepening of our grief through examples & case studies from these media channels and optional links to over 250 short videos by individuals, celebrities, organizations, and others.
While grief can have a destructive physical and mental impact on many, the last section of the course will also examine the Good from Grief: The massive positive societal impact people grieving are making around the world.
This course's objective is to make more of us and our communities grief-aware, informed and better equipped for each of our own grief journeys now or in the future. If you know others grieving that might find this course helpful, please forward the course link to them.
Whether you enroll now or in the future in this free Grief MOOC, please consider helping us in our on-going research with your answers to the linked short online survey on grief and the grieving process.
This course was GREAT. Learnt a lot about grief and the grief process and the good that can come out of it. I feel empowered. Thank you
Dr. Cheryl Collins
So glad to have this site, to fine tune our skills to help someone else in the grieving process! It truly is a process! Really enjoyed the information that is shared on this website! Pertinent information. Enjoyed class!
Sharing our grief, sometimes, is the only way to overcome our losses
Insightful. It seems support is very important in grieving. Sharing the burden so to speak is a way of keeping in touch with reality and finding a new balance together.
This is absolutely wonderful to know others recognize the serious depth of grieving. Thank you all.
Great video, shows how you grieve, but also how to be an example of what you can be
"Dusty" Susan Dustin Hattan
In both of these cases I looked at the emotion of the German father and could relate, this was a lesson in and of itself. Secondly, the sign language one taught me that there are resources for all of us and we have to make them available and search them out when needed.
- What is Grief & the Grieving Process? What's the latest research on the subject?
- Health: How can Grief impact our and our families' health? Our jobs - Workplace Grief?
- Grief Attacks: What are they? Role Models: How have others coped with them? What should we say or not say to people grieving?
- Online Grief: How has technology, and social media impacted our grieving? How will future technologies impact us?
- Good from Grief: How can any good come from grief? What are some of the positive societal impact people grieving are making around the world?
- Lesson Abstract: What is Grief and the Grieving Process About? Do we all Grief in the same way?
- What is Grief and the Grieving Process About? Do we all grief in the same way?
- True/False quiz to reinforce understanding of key concepts of grief and the grieving process covered in this unit, and to be used througout this course.
- What are the Different Types of Grief?
- True/False Quiz to Reinforce Understanding of the Different Types of Grief Covered in this Unit.
- What does research tell us about the grieving process?
- True/False Quiz on What Research Tells us About the Grieving Process to Reinforce Understanding of Leading Grief Research and Theories Covered in this Chapter
- Lesson Abstract: Health: How Can Grief Impact our Health? Our Families? Our Jobs/Workplace Grief?
- How can Grief impact our Health?
- True/False quiz on how grief and the grieving process can impact our health tor reinforce key health areas where grief and the grieving process can have an impact on.
- Workplace Grief: How Grief Can Impact our Work, School, Colleagues, Finances and Life?
- True/False quiz on the impact grief can have in the workplace for employees grieving; their colleagues, and their employers to reinforce some key areas where grief can have a major impact in the workplace
- What To Say or Not To Say to People Grieving?
- True/False quiz on some of the general concepts covered on what not to say or say to people grieving.
- Grief Attacks: Lesson Abstract
- What are Grief Attacks? Do we all get them?
- True/False quiz on what are grief attacks and reinforcement of key information regarding grief attacks/grief triggers covered in this unit
- How have others gotten thru their Grief Attacks? What are their coping strategies?
- True/False on the grief coping strategies covered in this unit and reinforcing awareness of the many diverse types of coping strategies used and shared by people grieving
- Life Without Them: Holidays, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Graduations, Weddings, Births and Others
- True/False quiz on types of on-going grief triggers
- Can the new text/chat/online-based grief counseling/coaching/listening services and mobile apps help?
- True/False quiz on key areas covered in this unit on the new text/chat/online based grief counseling, grief coaching, grief listening, grief sharing services and mobile apps
- Grief and Grieving Online Lesson Abstract
- How Technology is Impacting Our Grief and Grieving Process?
- True/False questions on how new techno